In most places, building code requires that only those professionally licensed to do the work can handle this part of the renovation. Many of these projects can be undertaken by an enterprising DIYer, but some projects, such as enlarging window openings, might call for a contractor’s expertise. Exercise caution when demolishing surfaces coated with lead-based paint.
- For an impactful weekend update, swap out the surface of your kitchen island.
- You can also tackle this yourself if you want and possibly save a little money.
- While unlikely to be the clinching factor in a house sale, small problems and defects can create an impression of a house being run down or not well cared for.
- “Consider white tile, chrome or nickel fixtures, a white porcelain shower and tub, and efficient low-flow toilets and new piping,” says Dogan.
- Secure the foundation and make major foundation repairs to areas such as